Thursday, March 3, 2011

Feeding Your Family For Less

Meat First...Recipe Second!

I recently purchased a nice family-size pack of sirloin at my local Kroger market. For those who have a Kroger (Fry’s) market (or any other local market for that matter), do try to take advantage of their weekly meat special. The past four weeks I have purchased one family size pack of whatever has been on sale – sirloin, corned beef, pot roast (chuck), etc., and have saved over $56! That buys a lot more groceries. Unless you have a special occasion or dinner party to break out a particular recipe for, try to do your weekly cooking in reverse — buy the meat special first, find the recipe second.

I was able to find a quick fajita recipe from Pillsbury for my sirloin that I bought this week. I have 3 lbs, so 1/2 will be used for this, and I’ll be on the lookout for a second recipe for the other half.


Click here for this simple Chipotle-Beef Fajita recipe





Take Advantage of Ingredients On Hand

Another easy way to save money, thanks to the internet, is to use your search engine to type in ingredients you may have on hand. It so happens that I have cream cheese and a cake mix in my cupboard, and by entering those two key words into the search, I found this yummy sounding cake. Not tried yet, so no guarantees, but I’ll get back to you once I’ve made it.
From Recipe Lion, Simple Gooey Butter Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment