Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Quick Recipe – Slow Cooking: Southwestern Chicken

When the boss has piled more work on your desk than you can handle, sometimes taking the time to cook meals can add to the stress when all you want to do is relax when you get home. Here is a very simple crockpot recipe that should help. It’s one of my son’s favorites. And instead of the suggested chicken? Try using the leftover turkey or ham!



Easy Southwestern Chicken (serves 4)


Ingredients:
1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 cup salsa (thick works best)
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 pkg cream cheese (8 oz)

In a crockpot, layer beans, corn, 1/2 c. salsa, chicken breasts and top with the last 1/2 c. salsa. Cook on high for 3 hours. Slice cream cheese and layer on top of other ingredients. Cook 1 hour longer. When done, gently blend cream cheese with the other ingredients. Serve over rice, noodles or tortillas.

I am a big fan of crockpot recipes — in the winter to provide comfort food and delightful kitchen smells, and in the summer to keep the house cool while cooking.

Do you have any simple crockpot recipes you’d like to share?

Disclaimer: I do not remember who sent this recipe to me years ago, but I have seen several versions of it on the internet. If you are the rightful creator please let me know so I can give credit where it is due!

No comments:

Post a Comment